Dr. M&M’s Mini Molars Program is our dedicated infant oral health program focusing on preventative care for infants/toddlers (ages 1-3).
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and our office recommend that your child visit the dentist by his or her first birthday. Treat the first visit as your would a well-baby checkup with the child’s pediatrician. It’s best to meet the dentist when your child is having no dental problems – don’t wait until an emergency comes up. Having a well-baby checkup at this age connects your child to a dental home. This is a “home base” for dental care, a place where you can take your child from year to year. This helps our doctors to get to know your child’s and your family’s specific needs, so he or she can provide the best care.
During the first Mini Molars visit, our team will:
- Learn your child’s health history
- Perform a complete oral exam to check for cavities, growth and development, oral hygiene, injuries or other dental problems
- Tell you if your child is at risk of developing tooth decay
- Provide a tooth cleaning and fluoride varnish application
- Discuss whether your child is getting enough fluoride to prevent cavities
- Review feeding practices that may lead to tooth decay
- Discuss teething, pacifier use, or finger/thumb sucking habits, if applicable
- Talk with your about common dental injuries and what to do if one happens
- Discuss treatment if needed and schedule the next check-up